You're hungry for a snack, but what on earth could tempt you in this blistering heat? Better yet, you have friends coming round and need to have a little something on hand to offer them with a cool drink - you want something that can come straight out of the fridge, satisfy that sweet tooth, not melt on contact and still be a little ball of delight, right?
Right- so that's where this gem comes in!
It's best served chilled, satisfies all the cravings of a 'sweet surprise' addict and is still (happily enough) actually pretty good for you!
Jane's chilled almond-carob-bliss-bombs:
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds (toasted if desired, but not necessary)
- 4 tablespoons desiccated coconut
- 4 tablespoons carob powder (I recommend the Lotus Organic Foods brand)
- 4 tablespoons of chopped walnuts (you can also use almonds, or any combination of nuts)
- 4 tablespoons of almond meal
- Sultanas or raisons of desired
- 4 tablespoons of honey (replace with maple syrup for a vegan option)
- 4 tablespoons of tahini paste
- enough water to help dampen and bind all ingredients
Place all dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix together until well combined. make sure you break down any lumps in the carob.
Add the honey, tahini and mix well.
Add enough of the water to form a very stiff paste. Go slowly, as you can't take it out once its added and you want the mixture to be able to hold its shape once formed into balls.
Wet you hands, scoop up enough of the mixture to form into a small ball & roll it. Place the the ball on a tray and repeat until all the mixture is used up. Put the finished balls in the fridge until cold. Serve chilled with a cool drink and some chilled berries.
I find that this quantity makes about 8 good sized balls- but you can vary the size to make more or less.
Note: rolling the balls in a little extra carob powder or desiccated coconut before chilling is also fun.